Tuesday, March 23, 2010

comparisons

I tried to tell a story today, of something meaningful in my past.

Of course the person I was telling found a way to be offended.

They thought I was somehow comparing my experience with theirs, and as I was about to expound on my lead in they got snippy and said,

"Well I'm not perfect like you are!"

I'm standing there agast, in a "what the hell was that?" state.

I just wanted to relate a story about my life that was in context of the conversation. I did not know their experience, I was already well aware that neither of us are perfect, but somehow....

Like I said before, no point in having conversation - not only for reasons before, but because everyone assumes that any story you tell is a "pissing contest" that they feel they have to try to 'win'.

I'm starting to understand and appreciate blogging, and the geeks that lock themselves in the house and only relate through a computer.

Except for Yahoo.

People have a extraordinary gift for finding ways to be offended on Yahoo. They apply their own emotions to your words and are able to twist even the most innocuous statement into a perceived "blatant attack" and turn into online monsters right before your eyes...

and its all your fault somehow.

being hearing impaired, I depended heavily on Yahoo to be able to stay in touch with people, since I can't use the phone.

But now I hardly dare say anything using it for fear of saying "good morning" and getting"

"WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN? HOW DARE YOU! " ect ect

which has actually happened btw.

on the one hand, I feel even more isolated from the world now. On the other....

who wants to be involved with a world like this?

No comments: